Friday, August 23, 2013

The Cold has Returned

The Garcias are Always with Me

So this week was cold again and now I'm positive that Brazil is Bi-polar. Certain. Sister Cavalcanti and I left our house one day extremely bundled up, ready for snow, and by the end of the day we were carrying all of our layers. I never know what to wear! But besides the cold we had a good week.
 
I have to insert a quick story here that happened a few weeks ago so it's completely irrelevant now but I still think it's funny. One day we were walking on the street as always and Sis. Cav had the phone that day so she answered a call and what I understood was that our church building was on fire earlier in the day so all the members were there and we needed to go there now to help clean up and such. Now I'm all worried and we walked to the building and everything seemed to be fine on the outside so I was confused. Then there were a group of people waiting outside for someone who had a key so now I'm thinking "oh, maybe the fire is just in the kitchen or in some room where we can't see from here." Our Ward Mission Leader finally came with a key and everyone walked in like nothing was happening and I was still confused...until I realized...that it was just a regular activity night and the youth were having a BONFIRE that we were invited to after our meeting. That's all!!! I was a tad embarrassed to express my sincere confusion but I did and everyone, I mean everyone, laughed. "Oh my cute American" they all said with a smile. Some people like to bring it up now and then..it was a good time.

Father's Day here was last Sunday so shout out to my main man, Daddy-O. Love you! On this day we had a surprise visit from Sister Cavalcanti's Mom! She just came to church and it was pretty emotional for my comp but afterwards she was fine. It was fun to meet her and then everyone asked when my mom was going to visit too. Good joke! "It's just a little farther away sorry everyone" is all I could say lol. But we were also extremely grateful for this visit because for the first time our cabinet was full of food! Hurray for Moms :)

This past week we had Zone Conference and it was really long but really great. We practiced more teaching skills and how to talk about the gospel more easily with people. Then, my favorite part, they announced birthdays starting with mine and I got a box of cereal! Sister Hargrove got one too! And then when you go up your companion says something about you "My companion is ___" so Sister Cav said "Minha companheira é Brasileira!" because everyone thinks I am and then everyone repeats "Brasileira" It was fun.
 
My last two random items are 1) We were at lunch with members eating pumpkin doce and I can't really describe it but it looks like this...and I love it. I explained what we, as Americans, do with pumpkins - like carve them or just eat the seeds and they thought it was absolutely nuts and wasteful...haha.  I never really thought of it before but I guess it is kinda weird. They just don't have pumpkin patches here and trying to explain Shady Brook Farms in good old Yardley was interesting. They essentially said like, "wait let me get this straight...so there are a million pumpkins and you go as a family to pick these pumpkins and then decorate them for fun? That's crazy. Gotta love America." Random item 2) But what I find strange here is that they eat Halls...like the cough drop...as candy here! Everyone LOVES Halls. I don't get it. I am constantly offered Halls and when I explained we use it more as medicine, I got the same response like with the pumpkins.
 
The difference in cultures is so funny to me, I love it. I'm sure there are/will be many more. Well, that's about it for this week. Transfers are next week so we'll see what happens. I'm hoping to stay in this area longer. I absolutely love it here. Til next week!!
Sister Cox 

No comments:

Post a Comment